Monday, March 21, 2011

Wiki, wiki, what?

I'd had experience working on a wiki before with one of my previous jobs and it was great for everyone being able to share ideas and collaborate. It was a one-stop-shop for various resources and to run ideas by each other.

I didn't realize how many wikis are out there. I went to a few of the Library Wikis along with some of the "fun" ones. My favorite was the Muppet Wiki because I love the muppets! There was so much information on there and I loved the "Random Muppet" page that you could click on. I definitely know where to go if there's anything I need to look up that's muppet related!

The LFPL Wiki was also fun to be able to get on and edit the various places. I contributed to the Favorite Restaurant and Favorite Vacation Spot sections. It's fun to log on and see what people throughout the system have put down!

Using a wiki could help the library carry out its mission because it would be a means for all people in all branches and offices to express their ideas (anonymously if they wanted) and for all ideas to be considered. I definitely see the personal benefits of using a wiki, especially to work on a project or collaborate on a trip. I don't necessarily foresee patrons asking a lot of questions about it, but it will be great to have the knowledge to inform them about Wikis, should the question ever come up!

No comments:

Post a Comment