Monday, March 14, 2011

Videos, Podcasts, and NetLibrary, Oh My!

I've had experience with YouTube, both watching videos (usually ones recommended by my husband) and uploading them. This video is by far my favorite on YouTube, as it is my wedding video. :) (We eloped and knew our families would kill us if we didn't video it. His family is spread out all over the US and many of them couldn't come to the reception we threw a few months after we got married, so we figured YouTube was the best way for them to see it).



This is another of my absolute favorites. I'll be sitting there and the song randomly pops into my head.



Here's another favorite...it just makes me laugh, as do many cat/dog/cute fluffy animal videos. :)



I could share numerous videos from YouTube, but I'll keep it to these three. :)

I was surprised at how many podcasts are out there. I ultimately settled for subscribing to 5, I figure that's a reasonable number. I subscribed to Car Talk and Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me from NPR (both are weekend shows that I love, but don't always get a chance to listen to). I also subscribed to Radio Lab and BBC News Hour, other NPR shows that I don't get a chance to always listen to because they're on at odd times. The last podcast I subscribed to is WFPL's Homegrown for the same reason...I like it, but hardly get a chance to listen to it. They are all added to my RSS feed so I'll be able to know when new episodes are out. :)

I didn't find NetLibrary to be insanely useful. It was nice to know where to find the public domain ebooks for people to download...I like that most of the "classics" are now public domain and can be downloaded for free. I found a book that sounded interesting called Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes, that was 7 hours and 20 minutes long.

I hopped on the podiobooks website and browsed it a bit. I sampled a few of the interesting-sounding titles, but didn't like how they were read. I finally found a series called Heaven that is pretty good and I can stand the sound of the reader's voice, so I'll probably listen to all those books, or maybe try to find them in the library to read them. I've never really listened to audiobooks, but from the experience I've had with them, I'm not a huge fan. I'd rather read the book myself and have my own voice in my head than someone elses.

This week's 23things was fun and it will definitely come in handy for helping patrons as well! I really look forward to seeing what videos others have posted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment