Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Databases

First off the answers to the questions...

10a) e-mailed ...I used Academic Search Premier and just searched "constitution"

10b) March 18, 2008; 4 sons...I used the Courier Journal database and searched for her name.

10c) For this I used the Journals/Magazines/Newspapers search. For the titles, there was a column to the right that told if they were full text or not.

Telos: no

British journal of history and philosophy: yes

Clinical medicine and research: yes

11a) Stewardship rating: B, manager: Duane Kelly; Morningstar rating: four stars...I used the Morningstar database and searched for it.

11b) see previous post...I used the Consumer Search database to find the article.

11c) I was surprised that we have 30 Starbucks in Louisville. It seems like in larger cities, there's one on every corner, but I guess Louisville has reached "big city" status with that many. But, once you think about the locations of every Starbucks you know, it does add up quickly. I also didn't realize there are 9 Heine Brothers in town (mmm...Heine Bros!).

For the 40202 zip code, Starbucks is definitely the biggest competitor, having 3 in the zip code. There are also 2 Dunkin' Donuts. If you were looking to open a chain they might offer up hefty competition, however if you were looking to open a local establishment, you might do well as there are 5 local coffee shops in the area (my personal favorite being Mrs. Potters!)

Also, if you wanted to open a local coffee shop, the Highlands (40204) would be a good area because there's only ONE Starbucks there (huzzah!) and the rest are local places. The Highlands Hippies/Hipsters like to support local and they like their coffee so it would probably be good business.

Moving on...I took the opportunity to explore almost all of the databases. Though I've used it before, I still love Novelist. I frequent the site often personally and I recommend it to patrons all the time. I also like the PVA website. It's fun to be nosey and see what your neighbors' or relatives' houses are worth. :) I definitely think we should be telling people about CQ Researcher more, especially students having to write a persuasive paper. Ohh, and the Learning Express Library! Who knew you could practice for the cosmetology exam online?!

This is a total cop-out, but I really don't know what database I would choose if we could only keep one. There are so many out there that offer such a variety of information from fixing your car to business statistics. I guess I would say that one of the encyclopedias would be the best to keep since it's got a little bit of information on most everything.

Getting to explore the databases was definitely a fun experience and I learned more about the vast number that we have. Talking about them even got my husband excited about logging on from home to look into some of them. Hopefully when patrons ask questions, I will remember what database to suggest, but if not I'll definitely be able to help them find the best source to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment