Monday, March 28, 2011

Online Reader Tools

I've been sort of familiar with Online Reader Tools, especially Novelist (it's the best!). I had never been on GoodReads before and really enjoyed exploring the site. The book that I recommended to Joe Patron was The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. I don't really know what prompted me to recommend that particular one, but it is my favorite of the books that he's written so far. BookLetters is a handy tool that I would have known nothing about before 23things. I subscribed to Book Sizzle and Books on the Air (see previous post) because it's nice to know what books have been talked about in order to help patrons when they can't remember the name or author. It used to happen to me at Border's all the time, so I know it will be helpful here too. I also subscribed to Children's Chapter Books, Children's Picture Books, and Teen Scene in order to stay up-to-date on the books for the patrons I serve the most...the kids! As I've said before, I love Novelist. I did a search for Twilight to see what would be recommended for the TwiHards. The results weren't surprising, as they were all romancy, vampirey, werewolvey type books. I decided to do something a bit less "cliche" and searched for a book called Wish that I've read and enjoyed recently. and it brought up some interesting recommendations. Some I've heard of, while others I hadn't. I think all three of the online Reader Tools will come in very handy, both for myself personally, but also for helping patrons. I don't have any other Reader Tools that I would recommend, but will definitely keep my eye out for some!

No comments:

Post a Comment