Monday, February 21, 2011

Flickr fun

I had created a Flickr account a few years ago after going to Europe. I'd planned to utilize the service by uploading my 4000 + photos that I took, but ended up uploading a good portion of them to Facebook instead. It's a lot of work to upload 4000+ photos and the task of having to do it again seemed daunting, so I never really looked at the site again until this week.

As a search tool, Flickr is really cool. I searched for my favorite spots in Louisville (Cherokee Park, Cumberland Brew Co, the various libraries ;), UofL, etc). I also searched for things that I reminisce about when it comes to my travels (my favorite results being Pizza Pot Pie in Chicago, Harry Potter in London [a popular location for that search was the Ledenhall Market, which was used in the films as Diagon Alley...I MUST go back to see this!], the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and tacos in San Diego...yes, I may have been hungry when I did my searching!). The photos that are geotagged on the site are really neat and lead to other things to search for. I am an addict when it comes to taking pictures, especially when I travel, so I could spend days just looking at pictures that others have taken.

The only photo sharing questions that I have gotten have been about uploading pictures to facebook, but Flickr could be a good reference tool if someone needs a photo of, say, a park in Louisville. For more localized photos Flickr would be great instead of searching for images on google or on one of our databases.

I uploaded a few pictures to Flickr and, though it tries to be, I don't find it very user-friendly. For example, I added my blog to it so I could just write this entry from the site and share my photos. I went to a few other places on the site and then I couldn't find my blog. I also made a map and geotagged some photos, but my photos did not show up on the world map, even when I adjusted my security settings and whatnot.

It's not very exciting, I have two pictures from Fairdale and one in Germany, but if you want to check it out, here is my map that I made.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/29342321@N02/map?&fLat=43.1267&fLon=-37.1017&zl=16&order_by=recent


Mobile uploading was kind of a pain...I guess since Flickr is owned by Yahoo! it doesn't offer an app for Android phones. If I wanted to share a picture from my phone, I would probably just upload it to Twitter, Picasa, or my blog because I already have apps that are much easier to use for that purpose. I've also had a photobucket account for years along with winkflash and snapfish. I don't actually order many prints, but I usually use these sites or even Walgreens.com because you can have them printed at your local Walgreens, pick them up within an hour, and not pay shipping. I use this service all the time for my mom because she always complains that I take so many pictures, but she doesn't ever see any. I just have them printed at the Walgreens in Etown and tell her to go pick them up.

I played with some of the sites built around Flickr. The spelling site was kind of neat, though I'd rather take my own photos for such projects. A photo project that I am working on right now is doing just that. I am meandering around Louisville taking photos of objects that make the letters in my last name. Big Huge Labs was fun to play on and had a lot of cool photo mashing tools that I'll definitely keep in mind for Teen Tech Week.

I enjoyed learning about Flickr, but I will definitely stay with Picasa because it is a program that I am used to and more familiar with. Plus, I use Google for just about everything else so it is already linked with my phone, e-mail, etc. I also feel that Picasa offers better photo-editing tools than Flickr did.

1 comment:

  1. I considered moving to Picasa Web, since I use Picasa as my home photo organizer, but the sync always seemed so sketchy that I got frustrated and never migrated. I do all my photo editing on my local picasa installation anyway, so that's not such a big deal to me. Never even really thought about direct uploading from my Evo, since Flickr is where pics go for archiving, and so my wife can order prints. I'm still more likely to share mobile pics directly to FB, Twitter and Friendfeed.

    ReplyDelete